Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Mulan.


Reflection.

The song is performed after Mulan returns home following a failed attempt to impress her matchmaker. The lyrical content expresses the way Mulan feels about wanting to show the world who she really is instead of pretending to be who she is not, but is afraid to disappoint her family by doing so. This scene takes place at Mulan's home in its surrounding gardens and ends in her family temple, where she removes her makeup to reveal her true appearance. 

Look at me, I will never pass for a perfect bride, or a perfect daughter.
Can it be, I'm not meant to play this part.
Now I see, that if I were truly to be myself, I would break my family's heart.
Who is that girl I see, staring straight back at me?
Why is my reflection someone I don't know?
Somehow I cannot hide, who I am, though I've tried.
When will my reflection show, who I am inside?

No comments: